Grow your own.....

     Herbs, vegetables, fruit, culture........ some of these matter where you live to what can be successful, and all require some sort of skill, but not as much as one would think.

    A couple of years ago after purchasing fresh Basil, Rosemary, French Thyme, and Oregano on a regular basis the cost for quality (which I purchased the best available) was no where equal.  Growing seemed to be the best alternative, and it was, turns out the soil and sun position were perfect, except for the Thyme, but that is ok, Basil consumption is far greater than Thyme in this household.
 
   Close to the same time I had a received a book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.  Like most gifts (for me) some become a new gift later than sooner, approximately 2 years after receiving the book, I committed to baking home made sourdough bread.
    Another thing to grow.... culture, for the sourdough, or starter as is usually called.   Requires pruning by only keeping that which is perfect to your taste, 4 months later with the same starter, in minutes, I have a bread so yummy that my family now refuses to eat bread any other way (except the wheat of course).  I can't say I blame them, I will have no bread than bad bread to cover my meat for a sandwich or accompany a meal.
     I wonder where this art of bread making on our own got lost?  It seems time is the main factor.  Nowadays, making homemade bread is not even considered, it is purchased as a staple.  My personal experience and those I have shared with find that to make bread this way with the 'wet dough' is easier than making a boxed cake. There are no preservatives, no sugar, unless you add them, literally it is only yeast, water, salt, and flour.
     I increase my baking time by 5 minutes for my oven and add a bit more flour than the 6 1/2 cups called for, my started is my yeast now, and I like Kosher salt, about 2 Tablespoons.  The water is our RO, and my crumb is finally starting to develop to my liking.  The recipe here has been inspired from the book.  Make your own changes as are needed and you will find yourself going to the store for flour not for warm bread.   Mix it all together and watch it grow....



Comments