Lava cakes

The oozing center when done correctly will flow when penetrated and not before, while the cake itself maintains its shape.  Tonight's decadent understudy as chocolate rich as one could hope for, did not hold it's shape. The fail saved me calories as well as a full dinner.  One cannot hope to be satisfied by the meal when the dessert is inadequate.  Overly sweet and under cooking (more than necessary) ruined the presentation.

The best place I have actually had a molten cake was in Gulluk, Turkey.  Of all places, it was by the sea, called Fuegos, atmosphere of Mediterranean and chic, along with a kitty or two.  The cats there usually find a home in an outdoor restaurant, and most in Turkey are kind to animals, they feed them.

I admire those who entertain at home, so often when invited the host has catered in or they are creating something so special, well, it has to go over well, even if all it does is look good.  Inviting someone for soup and fresh bread to me is just as elegant as a 5 course meal only better, for the taste and company must be superb for there is no hiding behind formalities.

I enjoy cooking, as well as eating, but more than that I enjoy all the rituals that surround the invite, where the ingredients come from?  And I am completely convinced that before dessert made it's disappearance from dinner tables, there were less complications.

Comments