Strawberry cake

     I like them messy......Strawberry cake, yummy, just in time for Spring. Easter too !!

     I am not against anyone who uses cake mixes, but for me I prefer not to, simply because of the aluminum and all the other stuff that I just would rather not have in my body.  Making your own cake is just as easy once you get used to adding your own leavening agents. The rest is so much the same as a cake mix.

     I used Softasilk cake flour for this one. The color comes from a package of gelatin and strawberries. I did not mush my strawberries as well for the cake so I made sure to do so with the frosting.

Make sure to not fill the pans too high. I used 9 inch pans at 350 for about 17 minutes.


I can tell by the smell when the cake is done, but I recommend still timing it :) This is just out of the oven, before letting them cool on a wire rack.  Make sure you wait about 3 minutes or so and release the edges. This helps with not having any breaks in your cake. 
 I had 3 layers, and wanted the frosting to be loose and flow over the sides, so I place the frosting mostly in the middle and then touched it a bit with a spoon to reach the edges. I did not do that with the first layer and as you see it did not flow over, so choose the look you like. This was my experiment too. I think next time I will do all the layers like the first one and let just the top overflow.
 See my chunks of strawberries. They were more firm than I gave them credit for, so with the frosting, I actually put the strawberries in my blender and in less than 20 seconds they were done.
 I am not the cake decorator, my specialty is usually chocolate and tarts, so I used some strawberries. Obviously you can add as much as you like or little. (Sorry about the camera strap)
My finished product. I like seeing the messy layers. I am not sure why?  I think because it makes me want to dive in and taste the cake, yet, I feel like I am already, with seeing so much texture.


Yummy for the eyes too
Yes, I had Dessert First, dinner came later, I just had to, this was actually two pieces, first was one tiny piece, so this does slice well. I couldn't wait longer than 30 minutes before getting a piece and then another. Hmmmm..
The best compliment I have ever received on a cake was today with this one from my son. He told me as he was scraping the frosting bowl, that he was going to ask Jesus to make this cake for the wedding when He (Jesus) comes back as the Bridegroom. 

Recipe
Strawberry cake

Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour 3 - 9inch round cake pans or any of your choice my oven cooks in 17 minutes. Check at 18.  On middle rack.
3 cups of cake flour
1 Tbls. of baking powder
½  tsp. of baking soda
½ tsp. of salt
3oz of strawberry jello pack (with sugar)
(mix above together in bowl)

1 cup of sugar
1/2  cup of butter melted, and ½ cup of organic extra virgin olive oil,  (or 1/2 cup of safflower oil, this is what I used), or cannola or whatever you like. Use all butter if you desire. Just 1 cup total of oils or some fat.
(mix above 2 in bowl, then add to dry mix)

4 eggs (x-large)
1 tblsp. lemon juice with 1 cup of strawberries chopped up
1 tsp. of vanilla
2/3 cup of milk, 2 % or whole, or buttermilk (I used 2% 1st time) 
(I also have used buttermilk I prefer this)
(mix the above 5 ingredients in with the other ingredients. Use mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed)
Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting, not longer than just cooled so that cake will remain moist (either wrap or frost).

Frosting
¼ cup of softened butter (room temp.)
8oz of cream cheese softened ( I used Philadelphia brand the original)
1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries
2 – 2 ½ cups of powdered sugar
Frosting will be able to be poured so you can let it run down the sides, I like this, if you do not, add another ¼ cup of butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Frost each layer most in the center, so not all of it runs out. Pour the rest on top and let it all float down, spread, don’t worry some will lay on bottom.  If desired leave some strawberries behind to decorate top. I think it looks good either way. You can also place some fresh French Thyme strands on top for décor. Refrigerate cake for 2 hours before serving.  Lick the bowl, it’s worth it.   

Comments