Bowl to Burger....




     There is nothing more satisfying than taking the leftover juice from a meal a week ago and create a beautiful onion soup for this week. Less than two dollars there is a decadent starter for my meals this week, at least for two to three of them (I wonder if that is how the bread on top got started? day three:) ). 
    I have never made an onion soup before and passing through the Costco isles of samples I tried one, and though it was good, I was certain I could make one better. 
Instantly my mind pictured the dish in the fridge with fixins and juice from a chuck roast we had last Sunday.  It was one of the best I have made and truly attribute that to the Emile Henry Dutch Oven. The last hour it completed itself slowly on top of the oven as home made sourdough bread baked. 
   This Sunday however is filled with the makings of accessories, sweet pepper confit, chicken tender skewers with spices and dip, and divine onion soup. 

     The onion one of the most fascinating vegetables for it can serve as a compliment to most savory dishes,  a condiment, a dish on it's own, a topping for a burger and is the flavor most roasts, and soups can't live without! 
   Venturing through a cookbook today (don't often follow the recipes as they are written, but borrow many great starts) I could think of none other to assist than Julia Child's book (I rarely use, simply because there are no photographs), for I do know that when it comes to particular dishes she 'is' the authority on them.  And whether this is true or not, in my mind she is the authority on onion soup!
   With a perfect start from the roast,  I pureed the juice and simmered as I cooked the onions to perfection. There is a fine line for cooking these onions (I learned) that they become sweet and candied, perfect for a broth married to Vermouth, ready to pour in a bowl, or if overdone, then it is to top a burger with a slight crisp and bitterness.  
   If you see one or 10 that have crisped, just pluck them from the pan, no one will ever know.  Remember these onions are destined for your bowl not a topping. Enjoy~


     






Onion Soup or Soupe a L’oignon                           Inspired by:
                                                     Julia Child’s recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 43
Serves 6
2 large sweet onions (I used Mayan’s) peel and slice thinly
1 Tblsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
3-4 Tblsp. Butter
4 quart covered sauce pan

Saute slowly in covered saucepan for 15 minutes.

1tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar (helps to brown the onions)

Uncover, raise temp to medium, and stir in the salt and sugar. Cook for 30-40 minutes until onions have turned a deep, even carmel brown.

3 Tblsp. Flour (sprinkle in and stir for about 2 minutes)

2 quarts boiling brown stock, or canned beef broth. Or can use 1 quart of water and 1quart of stock or bouillon.  (I used 1 quart stock from juice of chuck roast made week before, pureed) and 3 cups of water with bouillon.  Any flavor it is mostly salt.

¾ cup of dry white vermouth salt and pepper to taste.  (I used Tribuno extra dry)


Let it all simmer for approx. 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Just before serving add 3 Tblsp. Of Vermouth or Cognac.  May top with toasted hard bread and melted swiss or parmesean cheese. 

Comments