Oranges

     Some say that the happiest color is orange, and I am more likely to agree, now that I am older. Not exactly sure why?  If I have to reason it, I suppose when I was younger the color I agreed with most to be happiest had to be the color I liked the best.  Not necessarily the color I wore, for that was mostly black, white and grey.  I wore much more grey twenty years ago then I do now. And of course my favorite color was blue, the deep azure blue, like the indoor pool deep at Hearst Castle, with the same mystery.  Today my color is still the same, but my moods and age accepts more variety and choices are always available.
      Orange is a welcoming color for consumption. I find myself instantly feeling perked up and this sense of excitement with orange  (maybe that is why it is often accompanied by spices in cakes, pies, and custards).  Custards?  Yes, that lovely husband to Chiffon; just as smooth, only warm.  With the holidays that welcome Fall from our kitchens.  Pumpkin is everywhere, of course that is a burnt orange color and not what I am referring to when I speak of orange.... but she does fill a pumpkin cake with her zest and the two arrive from the oven, married in the simplest tones of Custard and happily ever after.

   When making a pumpkin favorite, add a couple of rounds of zest or even some juice from this round beauty, and, if not concerned about children consuming, 1/8 a cup of rum is nice too.  Remember the veil; whipped cream with a hint of cinnamon and shaves of chocolate.  Enjoy And be Happy.

Comments